Tuesday 6 July 2010

Peas

Allotments have one major disadvantage, I think. With so many yummy veg growing in one place for such a long time, and with so many gardeners trundling along the same footpaths and dipping their watering cans in the same water tanks, they can be a haven for pests and diseases. If I had grown these scrummy sugarsnap peas on the allotment, they'd be rife with pea-moth caterpillars. But growing them at home, not a single one is damaged. Hurrah!

Of course, there is still one major pest to contend with; I evicted a whole family of snails from under my plants while I was harvesting these.

I have perhaps let them get a bit over-developed before picking; life is hectic at the moment and I can't keep up! But despite a few stringy bits they were delicious, and we ate them in this; another lovely summery couscous recipe.

Herb-crusted Salmon on Vegetable Couscous
(serves two)
  • Whizz together two slices of bread, lemon zest and a little juice, fresh parsley, chives and tarragon, and seasoning.
  • Spread this crumbly topping generously over two salmon fillets, and bake at 180C for around 20 minutes.
  • Pan-fry diced courgette and sugarsnap peas in a little oil with a glug of lemon juice. When softening round the edges but still al dente, add 100g couscous, some more lemon juice, a knob of butter, and boiling water. Cover and let the couscous do its thing.
  • Serve the salmon on top of the vegetable couscous. Garnish with finely chopped sugarsnaps!

3 comments:

Robert Brenchley said...

After several dreadful summers, I'm not having the normal pea moth problems at all. Doubtless they'll be back!

Jo said...

I grow my peas under netting, those pea moth caterpillars turn my stomach and would turn me off the peas if I saw them.

Sue Garrett said...

It's the same problem with blight on tomatoes last year. None in the home greenhouse but plot greenhouse suffered

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...