Friday 22 April 2011

Noooooo!

Something ate my cucumber plants!
It didn't just have a nibble. It ate the whole things. Both of them. Completely. Two good-sized seed leaves on each.

Indoors!

There was a snail trail across the carpet (the plants were outside during the day so the little sod must have stowed away) coming away from the pots and back again. But could I find the little blighter?

Of course, I won't be put off. New sowings were made within minutes. A few years ago I would have sown far more plants in case of disasters like this, but it sucks having to get rid of them when you find you've got too many and I really don't have a lot of space to grow billions of seedlings.

So I shall just have to wait a couple of weeks longer for my cucumbers.

Sigh.

4 comments:

Nate said...

Oh no! =( Inside, too? What a cheeky wee thing. Hopefully your new seeds come up fast =)

Sue Garrett said...

I just hate it when that happens - we had mice using seedlings in the greenhouse as fast food so we have had to resort to traps and since then we seem to have had less of a problem touch wood!

Was it definitely a snail or could it have been a slug hiding in the compost?

Unknown said...

So AGGRAVATING!
A few years ago I lost every single courgette and squash plant I put into the allotment. It was like feeding the slugs. The following year I went biodynamic and the problem has greatly lessened.
But INDOORS! How annoying!
Good luck with the new sowings.
:)

Matron said...

Heartbreaking! That has happened to me too. Slugs, snails, mice are at the top of the list. But when that happened to me.. it was my dog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...