Saturday 19 March 2011

First Sowings

I know, I know, I'm way behind. The good news is MOST of the things I'm about to tell you about were actually sown a few weeks ago - I just haven't had the time to tell you about it yet.

First, leeks. The past few years I've bought leek seedlings, because of some early catastrophic failures, but this year I decided to grow them from seed again and I'm pleased to report that so far, it's going well.
I've got three varieties on the go for maximum chances of success; Autumn Giant 3, Malabar, and Musselburgh. In the background above you may also be able to make out some very tiny Winter Gem lettuces.

This year I'm growing mostly Angelle tomatoes from the seeds I saved from a supermarket tomato last year. The plants are really compact (straight up, few leaves, not much support needed) so I figured I could grow a lot in a small space. However, they've been rather sickly from the word go and a lot have 'damped off', so now I only have half as many! I'm planning another sowing tomorrow...
I've sown a couple of Hundreds and Thousands (from saved seeds) and Sub Arctic Plenty too, and they're doing fine...

As always, I'm having terrible trouble geting any peppers to germinate - I just don't know what I'm doing wrong! The Jalapenos are okay...
...but my King of the North green peppers, Dedo de Mocha Sweet Aji peepers (smoky flavoured but heat-free, the packet says!), Kaibi no 2 sweet red peppers and Doux Tres Long Des Landes long sweet peppers are showing few signs of life (twenty seeds, one shoot so far...). Perhaps I'll have to invest in one of those heated propogator things after all... Anyone recommend one?

We've been busy sowing on the plot as well, with four rows of broad beans (Bunyards Exhibition and Aquadulce) just about ready to pop up I reckon. In our two raised beds, I've sown a mass of salady veg. In one, French Breakfast radishes, Giant Radishes, Boltardy beetroots, and assorted carrot seeds. (Am I the only one that accumulates bazillions of half-packets of carrot seeds, then still buys new ones each year just in case the old ones don't work? Well this year all the old ones have gone in, all mixed up, and even if half of them don't work I'll still have PLENTY of carrots.) In the other, three varieties of spinach, Bull's Blood beetroot (for leaves), land cress and some Little Gems. These are the beds the foxes like to dig in for some unknown reason, so we finished the job by covering one bed with a spare piece of plastic mesh, and the other one (rather hopefully) with zigzags of string. Fingers crossed...

5 comments:

Robert Brenchley said...

Peppers need warmth to germinate. the only way I can do it is to put them on top of the hot water tank. My guess is they're too cold.

Sue Garrett said...

If you're behind we are off the scale Naomi. For years we haven't started off seeds until the end of March and they do catch up honestly - they have no setbacks either. They just can't wait to grow.

Foxes love the dig for worms and other grubs so I guess that's what they are after in your beds!

Sarah said...

I second the heat on the peppers. I put mine on the boiler as the hot water heater is too well insulated. They need to be about 25°C.

Nome said...

Right then. New pepper sowing coming up just as soon as I can find somewhere warm to put them. Wonder if the back of the top of the fridge is warm enough...

Paul and Melanie said...

I gave up on peppers this year. The last two years they've taken a hell of a lot of watering and space for such small rewards (about 3 decent peppers over 3 plants last year) that I've officially given up this year and will fill the greenhouse space with something more reliable. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...