Saturday 17 July 2010

Nome Makes Pickle!

Yes, I have had my first go at some proper preserving. Well, semi-proper preserving - I mean, this isn't going to make it to winter or anything. Must buy some decent bottling jars...

Having picked a huge armload of courgettes before moving, I've been doing all I can to make sure that none go to waste this year. And this courgette pickle seemed a good way to do it.

There are dozens of variations of this recipe on the internet, so I don't really know who to credit it to, and my variation is slightly different to all the others anyway. It's really simple so there's no excuse not to give it a go!

Courgette Pickle
(makes about 1 litre)
  • Finely dice 500g courgettes and a small onion. Place in a bowl with 2 tbsps sea salt and just enough cold water to cover. Keep chilled for one hour.
  • Put 500ml cider vinegar in a pan with 120g sugar, 2 or 3 cloves of crushed garlic, 2 tsps mustard seeds, 1 tsp mustard powder and 1 tsp turmeric. Simmer for a few minutes, then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
  • Drain and dry the courgettes (in a towel in batches), then mix into the pickling liquid and pour into jars.
  • Leave for a couple of days before eating, for the flavours to combine and the veg to soften.

When I started looking for a pickle recipe, I guess I was really looking for a chutney recipe - more of a spreadable condiment - whereas what I got was courgettes floating in vinegar: pickled courgettes. I had not thought about the difference - after all, you buy sweet 'pickle', Branston's 'pickle' and ploughman's 'pickle' in the supermarket and they are all chunky spreads, not things in vinegar!

Still, the pickle is delicious and went down well with the whole family. We've been eating it mostly in ham sandwiches, and with cheese. I expect it will last a good few weeks in the fridge. Next time I will make more and give some away!

2 comments:

Sue Garrett said...

We out courgettes in a piccalilli recipe as an alternative to cucumber

Monica said...

This is awesome! I just had my first go at preserving some cucumbers but I've been intrigued by other posts about courgette pickles. I love the look of yours and the addition of mustard seed is really winning me over. Mmm, beautiful! I'm not growing courgette but we're getting lots in the organic box and I'm sadly tiring of ratatouille. Pickles it is!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...