Tuesday 22 April 2008

The season's first harvest

We finally ate the first Nomegrown produce of the new season on Sunday evening: two generous servings of baby spinach and mixed lettuce leaves (served with jacket potatoes - sadly not Nomegrown).


Today was beautiful so we rushed down to the plot to build another bed.


This one is for winter brassicas (brussels, winter/spring cabbage, sprouting broccoli and swedes) so I can get sowing some swede seeds tomorrow. The brassica seedlings are not really big enough to plant out yet but it won't be long.

Curiosity got blue paint on the cat. Whoops...


Just as I was starting to worry, today I counted seven potato haulms finally popping up. No maincrop yet, but that's understandable.


Since we were last at the plot, we seem to have had an outbreak of dandelions. They were everywhere today and we ran round pulling all the flower heads off before they could set seed - it reminded me of picking them with my Dad when I was a kid to make dandelion wine.


The burgeoning asparagus shoots are looking healthier now. We've only thrown three away (not harvested any yet either mind).

And it seems last year's carrot-growing efforts weren't a complete failure after all: look what I found digging over the new bed today!


Let me leave you with this photo of a snail (on our birdtable, muhahaaa) which I thought was pretty awesome. I normally take the pictures round here but Eddie's new cameraphone takes really good close-ups and he's becoming quite the photographer. I shall have to start making even better use of him!

5 comments:

Paul and Melanie said...

Thats a great pic of a very brave snail... Wonder how long he survived up there... ;)

How long did your spuds take to pop through? Still waiting for sign on ours...

Nome said...

Hmmm, lets see... My diary says I planted them on 19th March, so that's just over a month.

Anonymous said...

Squash that snail now! Maximum prejudice!!

Matron said...

Yes! my potatoes came up today too! must be the warm-ish weather. I planted mine on Good Friday

Anonymous said...

Hi Nome

I've tagged you on my blog, so you're it. Hope you want to play.

Cheers, Simon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...