Saturday 11 February 2012

How Hardy is Hardy?

So as you may know, I invested in a supposedly super-hardy, super-tasty, super-perennial Daubenton's kale plant for the plot this year, which has been sitting patiently in a pot outside the back door for a few weeks now.

But since the snow, and despite the relative shelter provided by the house, it's started looking really unhappy - it's limp and has lost several lower leaves. What's up with that? I moved it to the greenhouse a few days ago but it hasn't perked up, and I don't really know how else to help it. The soil is moist (when not frozen) and it has no signs of pest attack or disease. Should I bring it indoors or would the warmth be a bit of a shock? Should I wrap it in fleece as well as putting it in the greenhouse? Is it maybe too small and not strong enough for freezing temperatures? It's supposed to live outdoors all year round - I don't get it. Any advice on how to help the poor thing?


4 comments:

Robert Brenchley said...

Plants are always more vulnerable in a pot as the roots freeze. It doesn't look too happy, but it's not dead, so try to keep it somewhere a little less frozen. Mine are perfectly happy in the open ground, apart from the pigeon damage. I thought I was going to get away with it this winter, but as soon as we had a bit of snow, they descended like the hordes of Genghiz Khan.

Sue Garrett said...

Sometimes plants hang like this in cold weather and buck up. Watering in freezing weather isn't a good idea. Can you just wrap the pot in bubble wrap or fleece or something?

Martin and Amy said...

It's definately not dead yet, so that's a good start.

I would wrap the pot in bubble rap too. Plants in pots definately are more susceptible to freezing as the roots are affected.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend nonetheless,

Martin

Nome said...

Thanks guys. Hmmm, okay. I think I'm just going to have to keep it indoors for a while. It spent the night in, but doesn't look any happier yet :/

Fingers crossed...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...