Sausage and Pumpkin Casserole
(Serves 4. Originally from Matt Tebbutt here, but this is how I make it:)
- Fry eight sausages in a knob of butter until golden brown all over (5-8 minutes).
- Add a chopped onion, two or three cloves of garlic (chopped), a big pinch of dried sage, and another knob of butter. Stir and cook 3-5 minutes.
- Add diced pumpkin/winter squash (something close to 400g). Stir in.
- Turn up the heat and add 1 tbsp white wine vinegar. Stir and allow to evaporate for a few minutes.
- Add 1 tsp sugar, a can chopped tomatoes, a can of cannellini beans (drained and rinsed), another pinch of sage, and enough chicken or veg stock to nearly cover. Season (you probably don't need salt, but be generous with the black pepper).
- Bring to the boil, then place in a preheated oven at 180C for about an hour. (Keep covered for half an hour, then take the lid off.)
I like to serve this with baked potatoes (just chuck 'em in when the casserole's in the oven) and peas or broccoli.
Oooooh, it's soooo good.