We brought home this whopper last weekend, which weighed in at a massive 3.5kg/7.8lbs! Surely the biggest we've grown yet!
Nope, I couldn't even hold it up in one hand to take the photo - I had to rest it on my knee too.
I stuffed it and it fed the family nearly twice over - not bad! I'll include my recipe here, but it's extremely flexible really. Chuck in whatever you've got!
Stuffed (Giant) Courgette:
- Cut the courgette in half lengthwise and scoop the seeds out. Season generously, sprinkle with mild chilli powder and paprika and rub with garlic oil.
- Place in a 180C oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry a chopped onion until soft.
- Add a chopped yellow courgette, a chopped red pepper, and a big pinch of paprika and chilli, and cook until soft.
- Add chopped mushrooms, a can of chopped tomatoes and a big splurge of tomato puree. Simmer a few minutes.
- Add two cans red kidney beans or similar and a pinch of basil. Simmer.
- Take the courgette halves out of the oven and tip away any liquid that's accumulated in them. Spoon in the vegetable mixture.
- Whiz two bread crusts and some cheddar in a food processor. Top the courgette halves with the crumbs.
- Return to the oven and bake for... well, I lost count actually. I think it was about 40 minutes. Until the courgette flesh is soft.
- Serve with buttery potatoes.